Thursday, October 30, 2014

Why Apple's CEO Tim Cook coming out of the closet IS a big deal!

This morning, like so many others, I rubbed my eyes, tried to force them into focus, while simultaneously reaching over for my I-phone. A rather typical and regular start to all my mornings. The first story I read on my facebook feed was Apple's CEO Tim Cook and his honest, eloquent letter on why he was choosing to come out of the closet as a gay man. As a gay person, I sat back and thought to myself, what a great way to start the day. I then quickly began to ponder what implications will this decree have on corporate America, the southern US (he's an Alabama guy) and culture at large.

Immediately I thought about Wall Street, which still remains as a largely homophobic, misogynistic network of white heterosexual males. I pondered what a huge impact this admission would potentially mean to the culture of corporations and individuals who run our free markets.

As I went back to my phone and began looking at some of the comments under the story line, that were, for the most part, supportive and thoughtful (which is no surprise as the majority of Americans support equality for LGBT individuals). I did stumble upon a few comments, from individuals both gay and straight, who were perplexed why Mr. Cook would even need to make this declaration. I read comments like "Who cares anymore, whats the big deal, so you're gay!", or "Its 2014, does anyone really care anymore?". I can appreciate that for some of these individuals who commented, their acceptance of LGBT individuals, likely came a long time ago and they have a network filled with progressive and forward thinking people. This perspective was not foreign to me and not the first time I have heard this type of sentiment. In fact a family member of my own (who I love), once said to me "enough already with the gay crap", after I had been posting regularly on our continued journey towards marriage equality in the USA.

As I made myself a cup of coffee, I began to process these type of comments. I realized I was not offended, rather I felt compelled to articulate, why in fact Mr. Cook's honest confession regarding his sexuality, was in fact, a big deal.

I started to think what else I had skimmed in my facebook feed this morning. As I read a myriad of stories, I realized that so many individuals are not privy to the real atrocities that continue to plague the LGBT community everyday. You see, to the majority of America, it seems like the battle for equality is on a smooth and rapid trajectory. To some, it appears with each legal barrier that is eliminated, that our ubiquitous acceptance is but a foregone conclusion. What I can tell you, is that the picture is not quite that "rosy".

In addition to reading Mr. Cook's letter this morning. I also read the following stories:

I read about a 28 year old Tennessee man, who violently attacked and verbally abused a man in the Dallas airport, because he thought that he may be gay. Even though his violent attack and homophobic rant was witnessed by numerous people and the video has gone viral, he will likely pay a $500 fine for his horrible actions. No hate crime will apply, and he will likely become a folk hero to many narrow minded, homophobic individuals.

I also read about an angelic, 8 year old little boy named Gabriel Fernandez who was murdered by his parents. Gabriel died on May 24, 2013 after sustaining injuries which left him with a cracked skull and broken ribs. In addition, BB-gun pellets were scattered throughout his body, including his groin and lungs. According to court records, the couple who felt the young boy was gay, beat him when he played with dolls and struck him with belts and baseball bats. He was also forced him to eat cat feces and his own vomit. At least once he was covered in pepper spray and locked inside a cabinet with a sock stuffed in his mouth to quiet his cries for help. This is only newsworthy today because his parents pleaded guilty to avoid the death penalty for their heinous crimes.

Finally, I read about 25 year old Tajshon (Ashley) Sherman, a transgendered woman from Indianapolis who was found shot in the head, outside a housing complex. Police in Indianapolis are not investigating this as a hate crime, even though Ashley's death becomes the 10th transgendered woman of color to be murdered in the United States this year alone.  

Unfortunately for me and many of my friends these are the stories that litter our facebook and twitter feeds. Young men and women, violently being kicked out of their homes, by non supportive parents. LGBT youth being 7.4 times more likely victims of physical, verbal or emotional abuse in comparison to their heterosexual counterparts. Countries like Uganda, Iraq, and Russia all passing horrible anti-LGBT laws that not only ostracize the LGBT community, but also create a network of predators who attack and pillage our community without repercussion.  

Those of us in the LGBT community are extremely aware of the risk that our innate sexuality carries. We recognize areas of our country and of the world that are inherently dangerous to us. Most of us do not take a "polly anna" perspective to our situation. We understand that acceptance, equality and integration will likely take decades. But I can tell you personally, what scares me more is apathy and lethargy amongst our community and our advocates. Work continues to need to be done. Advocates and activism are still required. This is not unlike the Woman's or African American movements. It requires tenacity, persistence and perseverance. 

So I sit here and re-read Mr. Cooks poignant words:

"The world has changed so much since I was a kid. America is moving toward marriage equality, and the public figures who have bravely come out have helped change perceptions and made our culture more tolerant. Still, there are laws on the books in a majority of states that allow employers to fire people based solely on their sexual orientation. There are many places where landlords can evict tenants for being gay, or where we can be barred from visiting sick partners and sharing in their legacies. Countless people, particularly kids, face fear and abuse every day because of their sexual orientation."

So after almost 12 hours of reflection today, I make a solemn promise to myself. Until the day when I can wake up, reach for my I-phone and read the morning headlines, without seeing heinous acts of violence and abuse towards the LGBT community, then and only then will I temper my voice. And when the CEO of one of the planet's largest and most culturally relevant companies comes out and declares his sexuality with honesty and pride. I sit back and realize, "this is a big deal".

No comments:

Post a Comment