Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What is Schmoody?

I am always astonished how much I learn from younger people. My nieces and nephews are always teaching me things about life, about acceptance and ultimately how to be a better person. We as adults have been conditioned to think that wisdom is somehow connected to chronological age. Although I will not completely throw that idea out; I also know many youthful people who are chalk full of wisdom. I personally know many 50 years olds who's lives are full or chaos and drama, while knowing teens who have a deep sense of inner peace. Ultimately,what I have learned is that I try to view everyone as an educator of my life.

The name of my new blog is based on a lesson I learned from my young cousin Jack Shepard. Years ago there was a group of us sitting on the deck, having a cold drink when Jack strolled on by.  His mother Lisa asked Jack if he would please go wash his hands. Jack responded to her "that's schmoody". After letting mother/son relations relax a little, I asked Lisa what "schmoody" means?After a small chuckle, she told me that Jack made the word up and it can carry any meaning you want it to. If you are angry for example, you can say "I am so schmoody at you". Or if you are excited you can say something like "OMG this is going to be totally schmoody". I thought to myself how brilliant is this, a word that can carry any connotation you like. Almost like verbal mood ring for those of you who can remember back to the 70's!

I have always wanted to create a blog that would represent my point of view, my professional path, my interests and my perspective on the world. I thought back to that moment in time when Jack so eloquently blurted out his ubiquitous meaning of what schmoody is and I knew that it would be what my blog represented. So today I forge forward with a new avenue of how I communicate my thoughts, ideas and perspectives to the world.  I hope when you read my entries that it brings you some knowledge, insight or just some laughs. My plan is to talk about things like holistic wellness, interpersonal relationships, equality, family, and who knows, maybe even Kraft dinner. I do know that I will communicate each blog entry with passion and authenticity, as I am trying to live a life well lived.




So, thanks Jack for teaching an old dog a new trick...your Schmoodiness has inspired this project!!

To the rest of you, I hope you have a schmoody day!

Jim


If you like this blog, please share it, its the best gift you can give.



No comments:

Post a Comment